Mechanical problems halt Martin Kodric’s thrilling comeback in Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup at Silverstone

May 2018
Martin Kodric
Croatian driver Martin Kodric’s brilliant comeback was denied the win it deserved when mechanical problems cut his race short in the Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup at Silverstone this weekend (18-20 May).

The 20-year-old Barwell Motorsports racer took the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 to P2 in the Silver Cup class and was honing in on first spot when his gearbox went. It proved to be the end of the race for the team after what had been an excellent spell that put them in a position to win from P8. And while the weekend finished in a similar fashion to the opener at Monza with a DNF, Martin was again determined to keep looking forward.  He said: “We didn’t have a great qualifying but had all done a great job to bring us back into the race. “We’d got back to P2 from P8 and felt as thought it was there to win. It was pretty frustrating for the gearbox to go when we were looking so good. “But you have to try to move on quickly from these disappointments, look to the next race and hope things run smoother going forward.”

Martin was joined again by teammates Sandy Mitchell and Michele Beretta for the fourth round of the Championship. While they had problems with the set-up in testing, Beretta did a good job in qualifying, finishing P20 overall and P3 in the Silver Cup out of the 50-car pack. After Mitchell crashed in Q2, the team did a great job to get the car out for Martin in Q3 although it was still heavily damaged from the impact.  Unfortunately, the damage meant it was practically impossible for Martin during his session and more about posting a time than competing. He ended up back in P39 overall and P8 in the Silver Cup. It left the team with a lot to do when the three-hour race final got underway on Sunday. Beretta took the car out first and managed to get the car up to P4 and P25 overall, before Mitchell took over moving them up a few places more. 

Martin Kodric: "You have to try to move on quickly from these disappointments, look to the next race and hope things run smoother going forward."

In a brilliant spell, Martin then got the car up to P18 overall and in P2 in the Silver cup. He was just 5/10ths behind the leader and closing in on the top spot when his gearbox shattered. While he tried to continue, he was stuck in second gear and it proved to be the end of their race. The team now move on to Circuit Paul Ricard for Round 5 on 1-2 June. Martin added: “To be that close to a win shows we are not far away. We just need a little more luck when we move on to France. “We must bounce back quickly and go again.”